ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari says goal was to send eight players to NBA, not win national title!! Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
If you’re not a fan of Coach Cal’s Players First mentality, you might want to sit this one out. Take a quick break from the computer, grab a Wendy’s Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken sandwich, steal an ambulance for a Fireball run, go enjoy the weather, whatever. This one’s not for you.

For everyone else, Calipari went on one of his better Players First rants today while speaking at Alltech’s Rebelation closing session in Rupp Arena this morning. It was a different kind of crowd — business minds, not UK basketball fans — so his message focused on leadership and coming together as a team for a common goal.

But while relaying that message, Calipari said the goal last season was to get eight players draft, not win the national title.

“Last year we started the season with a goal,” he told the Alltech Rebelation crowd. “You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games and be… It was to get eight players drafted.”

His point, I think, was to say if those eight players maximized their potential, everything else would fall into place. If everyone on the team played for each other, the rest would come. I think. But that one statement won’t sit well with some people. (Hopefully they took my advice and logged off.)

Cal also talked about last season’s disappointing end, saying he’s very proud of what they accomplished as a group and as individuals.

“This year, we were trying to win every game and we fell short of what we were trying to do,” he said. “But we still did historic things this year and seven players are going to be drafted. I can tell you, I feel great about what happened because players got better, they did what they had to do… College basketball is not the NBA best-of-seven. It’s one game.”

Wow!! And uk is willing to pay $8 million a year for this, just to be a NBA "farm club"?? Sounds like a great deal for the NBA but really the blue hole uk fan base is all in on this........cal is playing the blue holes like a "Boss Pimp" !! SMH
Can't wait to see how the blue holes spin this !!!

Reactions: pervisl
A sales pitch making sure recruits know their futures as pro ball players are more important than anything else. This is probably what many HS recruits want to hear.

They whiffed on a few guys this year so he feels compelled to remind the kids what he cares about. Father John, looking out for their best interests yo!

I'm good with any guy who wants to trivialize and disrespect the LPT basketball program.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: ACCCard and pervisl
A sales pitch making sure recruits know their futures as pro ball players are more important than anything else. This is probably what many HS recruits want to hear.

They whiffed on a few guys this year so he feels compelled to remind the kids what he cares about. Father John, looking out for their best interests.
Calipari has the wool pulled over the eyes of the U of K officials. He's got them convinced that not winning the championship is not a bad thing. He wants them to think that sending first year players on to the NBA is more important than winning championships. That doesn't even include getting them to graduate. Winning championships is what the game is all about, and Calipari can't win them. So he cooks up this #$%$ story of getting players drafted and makes it look like he's doing something great. UK officials wake up. You keep throwing money at this guy and you're not getting the top prize in return. Are you paying Calipari to rent a player every year and move them on to the NBA, or are you paying him to win championships? There seems to be a conflict of interest going on and it needs to come out in the open. Is there possibly some sort of kickback going to Calipari to turn these kids out to the draft? Something is not right, something stinks. Here you have supposedly one of the best coaches in the game with the top recruiting class every year and says it's more important to get these guys to the NBA then to win a championship. If winning a championship is important to the Wildcats, then they better not depend a lot on their coach. They need to stop throwing new contracts and more money at him until he starts delivering championships. Save as much of that money that you can, you might need it to buy out his contract.

THE TRUTH

They whiffed on a few guys this year so he feels compelled to remind the kids what he cares about. Father John, looking out for their best interests.
Calipari has the wool pulled over the eyes of the U of K officials. He's got them convinced that not winning the championship is not a bad thing. He wants them to think that sending first year players on to the NBA is more important than winning championships. That doesn't even include getting them to graduate. Winning championships is what the game is all about, and Calipari can't win them. So he cooks up this #$%$ story of getting players drafted and makes it look like he's doing something great. UK officials wake up. You keep throwing money at this guy and you're not getting the top prize in return. Are you paying Calipari to rent a player every year and move them on to the NBA, or are you paying him to win championships? There seems to be a conflict of interest going on and it needs to come out in the open. Is there possibly some sort of kickback going to Calipari to turn these kids out to the draft? Something is not right, something stinks. Here you have supposedly one of the best coaches in the game with the top recruiting class every year and says it's more important to get these guys to the NBA then to win a championship. If winning a championship is important to the Wildcats, then they better not depend a lot on their coach. They need to stop throwing new contracts and more money at him until he starts delivering championships. Save as much of that money that you can, you might need it to buy out his contract.

THE TRUTH

JBR 2 hours ago
THIS FROM TWO UK FANS

I am an avid UK fan...and have been my whole life. With that being said, I am in the true minority of my fan base that is really turned off by Calipari. He is the ultimate in arrogance and self promotion. He always talks down to people while making them feel good about it. And HE IS A TERRIBLE COACH. He is the best recruiter of all time, hands down, but coach? He calls zone defenses "gimmicks", and his playing style is no more than glorified AAU play...straight man defense with no offensive strategy...he just thinks he has more talent than everyone and therefore should win. Any coach that doesn't give his players the tools to win each game, including championships, is a failure in my opinion. His arrogance clouds his judgment, and it is him that counts draft picks...each individual player couldn't care less about the overall numbers, just when their number is called. And btw Cal, you want your guys drafted higher, winning championships does that...ask the Harrison twins after this year's draft.

I hate to say it about my program, but Cal has turned it into what all his critics claim...an NBA farm team...and he even brags about that. The problem as a UK fan, is that he does recruit so well, who would we get that is better. We will be in the conversation every year with his recruiting, but always the bridesmaid...the only coach out there that could handle UK and is a proven coach with this level of talent will never leave Duke.
JBR

Michael 2 hours ago

I don't know. I am a lifetime UK fan and there is something disingenuous about this. I for one, think he overstocked last year, and indeed that speaks to his stated goal here, but is that really the best course? It also sounds like a rationalization for someone who knew he underachieved as a coach. On the one hand, he says he will never platoon again, which is kind of a DUH comment because it can never work to help a team reach its true peak, and on the other he says 8 draftees was his goal....hindsight is 20/20 and its a bit of BS for him to cover his ... this way.

Reactions: ACCCard and pervisl
It's been a few months since I visited this board. and I choose this topic to post in due to its' the top.

UL fans on the main board said you guys were obsessed with UK. I stopped counting at 5.

Carry on with your UL board talking about UK.

Don't bother responding as just as I didn't read all the other UK threads (and geez there are more than UL threads), I won't be back to read this one.

Try having some self worth. Don't perpetuate the little bro status.

Last edited:
Two UK basketball posters with a modicum of sense. Maybe there is hope for the world.
Two out of how many? I wouldn't hold out too much hope that common sense is starting to prevail regarding Calipari's basketball coaching philosophies. Those two are just aberrations and are unwelcome members of the BBN in general.

It's been a few months since I visited this board. and I choose this topic to post in due to its' the top.

UL fans on the main board said you guys were obsessed with UK. I stopped counting at 5.

Carry on with your UL board talking about UK.

Don't bother responding as just as I didn't read all the other UK threads (and geez there are more than UL threads), I won't be back to read this one.

Try having some self worth. Don't perpetuate the little bro status.

Yes...you will be back to read this thread. Know how I know? I also post on the main board, and your only contribution on it is to comment on how everything and everyone is obsessed with UK. That's it. No matter what the thread topic is, your comment will be how it is UK related and how every program is UK obsessed. No need to look it up, it's called narcissism.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Sounds like there's a couple million LPT fans clued into Pitino Lite's latest words.

The word FAIL defines him.
Honest opinion here. I don't believe Calipari is a failure. He's a millionaire and became a millionaire by coaching a kids game. That's successful.

Now it goes deeper than just making money to be a success and I understand that as well as the next guy. This is where Calipari comes up a tad short compared to his peers. No coach in the history of college basketball has done less with more. At one time it was Dean Smith who should have won a whole lot more titles than he won, and now we have John Calipari who hasn't been able to guide a whole roster full of NBA talent to the title several different years over the course of his coaching career. In that sense, the word fail does define him.

When Pitino Lite has a once-in-a-generation player like AD, he's got a good shot at a championship. Otherwise, he mostly wastes talent and proves he can't really coach.

All the while, he puts his big feet in his mouth and collects ridiculous paychecks.

It must suck as UL fans to constantly be on the losing end of games against a failure who can't coach.

**** You made no attempt to discuss anything, only a hit and run post seeking to bash. No need for a warning in this case. You're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have a problem with Pitino Lite insulting a fanbase that continually measures itself against U of L.

Hell, they deserve all those insults.

It must suck as UL fans to constantly be on the losing end of games against a failure who can't coach.

**** You made no attempt to discuss anything, only a hit and run post seeking to bash. No need for a warning in this case. You're done.
LOL..dude UL overall sports is SO far ahead of kitties. Enjoy your one sport. Who is the latest team in state with a title...come back when your football team gets a BCS bowl, baseball team gets in world series, womens basketball team gets in title game..I could go on.

"Hope he stay at Kentucky, he sucks as a coach, will not win any championships."

2012....he already has a title.
4 of the past 5 Final Fours
38-win season...NCAA record
7-1 vs. uofl .... if that 'sucks' as a coach, well I certainly hope he stays too.

2012....he already has a title.
4 of the past 5 Final Fours
38-win season...NCAA record
7-1 vs. uofl .... if that 'sucks' as a coach, well I certainly hope he stays too.
Most of that sounds like the LPT basketball bar being lowered.

"Most of that sounds like the LPT basketball bar being lowered"

....uh...how so?
You mean you're too damn dumb to understand what that means and you don't see the difference in the goals your coach has now set for uk and the goals other uk coaches had before him !! WOW Typical blue hole !!!

If you’re not a fan of Coach Cal’s Players First mentality, you might want to sit this one out. Take a quick break from the computer, grab a Wendy’s Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken sandwich, steal an ambulance for a Fireball run, go enjoy the weather, whatever. This one’s not for you.

For everyone else, Calipari went on one of his better Players First rants today while speaking at Alltech’s Rebelation closing session in Rupp Arena this morning. It was a different kind of crowd — business minds, not UK basketball fans — so his message focused on leadership and coming together as a team for a common goal.

But while relaying that message, Calipari said the goal last season was to get eight players draft, not win the national title.

“Last year we started the season with a goal,” he told the Alltech Rebelation crowd. “You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games and be… It was to get eight players drafted.”

His point, I think, was to say if those eight players maximized their potential, everything else would fall into place. If everyone on the team played for each other, the rest would come. I think. But that one statement won’t sit well with some people. (Hopefully they took my advice and logged off.)

Cal also talked about last season’s disappointing end, saying he’s very proud of what they accomplished as a group and as individuals.

“This year, we were trying to win every game and we fell short of what we were trying to do,” he said. “But we still did historic things this year and seven players are going to be drafted. I can tell you, I feel great about what happened because players got better, they did what they had to do… College basketball is not the NBA best-of-seven. It’s one game.”

Wow!! And uk is willing to pay $8 million a year for this, just to be a NBA "farm club"?? Sounds like a great deal for the NBA but really the blue hole uk fan base is all in on this........cal is playing the blue holes like a "Boss Pimp" !! SMH
Can't wait to see how the blue holes spin this !!!
Sounds good to me

Cal, want's and desires for everyone to think he is a good coach but, people know he isn;t so he tries to spin everything. That's about all Cal does.

Statistical fact trumps opinion every time. Most of you here are just taking the easy way out and ignoring statistical fact when it comes to Cal. Par for the course, I guess.

Yip...that's all uk fans care about now. So was it statistics you blue numbskulls were pining about prior to this past season...or was it seeking 9 like all the Walmart tshirts hanging on the racks. As I recall, just about every single blue fan alive was claiming the only thing that matters is winning championships and hanging banners. Sooo now the narative has changed I guess. Now it's about winning streaks against a "lil bro" that really doesn't exist except when the need presents itself and now it's about winning a bunch of games in a row and juuuuuuust falling short of the one true goal.

I guess if the narative changes with the seasons then I can't keep up with ya big fella. Just as a reminder......all your statistics are fantastic. All I have is the most recent championship won in this state. I'm just heart broken. We keep losing to an NBA farm team but still somehow manage to do pretty dang good. Enjoy your 38-uh oh tshirts. Get a bumper sticker. You got past 1 more round then us....barely. Titty sprinkles on getting there undefeated. So impressive with that roster. Almost as if I heard somewhere a thousand times that uk was supposed to win it all and no one had close to the same amount of talent. Even the odds makers were sold on it and guess what......they were wrong. Cal beat all the odds and lost.

Last edited:
cal can recruit, but give Pitino 25 McDonalds all Americans in a 6 year period and I'd guarantee he'd have more than 1 title with ZERO NIT's.
Statistical fact trumps opinion every time. Most of you here are just taking the easy way out and ignoring statistical fact when it comes to Cal. Par for the course, I guess.

The only narrative here being argued here is the claims you guys are making about Cal as a coach. When statistical facts directly oppose and disprove what's been said here, it's baffling as to how these 'he sucks, can't coach", etc. claims can be made in the first place. Rick doesn't like Cal, but I'd bet you anything that he'd look at you like you were crazy if you had this conversation with him.

The only narrative here being argued here is the claims you guys are making about Cal as a coach. When statistical facts directly oppose and disprove what's been said here, it's baffling as to how these 'he sucks, can't coach", etc. claims can be made in the first place. Rick doesn't like Cal, but I'd bet you anything that he'd look at you like you were crazy if you had this conversation with him.
What I'm trying to say is as long as Cal has a huge talent advantage he will win a high percentage of them, as would 90% of college coaches. In the tournament they usually don't face a team until later in the tournament that is close in talent, he doesn't have a good record in those games. Cal can recruit and bs his fanbase, I'll give him that.

Well, as much as I haven't seen this issue raised here, isn't recruiting a major component of coaching? Isn't it also within reason to think that getting in elite level talent like Cal does, he also has to get them to 'buy in' to play as a team ("One Heartbeat", as he calls it)? It's a lot more than the he just "rolls the ball out there and let's them play" theory I've seen here many times.

I never said he wasn't a good coach, he just needs the more talented team to win. He is a recruiter at a level of his own, if my team was in the final four I'd prefer a better tactician calling the shots. Again, that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT