ADVERTISEMENT

Bad Decision by Holliman

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I was surprised he lasted until the 7th round although I have said for months that I thought Sample would likely have a better pro career. Unfortunately I think Gerod made a bad decision to go pro. The pro scouts questioned his run support and tackling abilities. I think those are definitely areas, along with his strength, that he could have improved upon with another year. The NFL is not like pro basketball. In the NBA, it seems like the less tape they have on you, the better your draft prospects. The NFL loves tape. Gerod basically only had a one year resume. A second year would have benefitted him greatly.

That's hard to say. His overall game could have improved with another year. But he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near 14-15 picks, probably no more than half that many. Then, a lotta experts would have said "there's proof he was a flash-in-the-pan."

Faced with the same decision, I probably would have entered the draft as well...

I was surprised he lasted until the 7th round although I have said for months that I thought Sample would likely have a better pro career. Unfortunately I think Gerod made a bad decision to go pro. The pro scouts questioned his run support and tackling abilities. I think those are definitely areas, along with his strength, that he could have improved upon with another year. The NFL is not like pro basketball. In the NBA, it seems like the less tape they have on you, the better your draft prospects. The NFL loves tape. Gerod basically only had a one year resume. A second year would have benefitted him greatly.
I not sure Holliman would start this year. And that would be weird for a Jim Thorpe winner to sit the bench.

A kid with remaining eligibility putting himself in the draft and going undrafted would be a mistake. Or if a kid is a borderline 1st rounder and could secure a first round pick with another year, then it would be a mistake to go early.

But what would another year do for somebody the NFL collectively views as a 7th rounder? Get them to the 3rd round... still guarantees nothing. Highly doubt he's making all the way into the 1st round, and anyone taken in rounds 2-7 is basically getting a glorified tryout anyway, so what's the difference? What if he came back and had a sub par year, or worse, an injury? What if the scouts see ANYTHING that causes them to change their mind for that matter. He is all but guaranteed to regress on his number of INTs. If he slips just half a round and he's out of the draft altogether.

On the NFL loving tape... look at Teddy. They had 3 years of tape that should have locked him into the Top 5. Yet he BARELY made the 1st round because of skinny knees and a glove.

The bottom line is that Holliman got drafted and is going to get HIS shot at HIS dream in the NFL. Hard for anyone to call that a bad decision.

"Get them to the 3rd round... still guarantees nothing."

Welp, these are approximate numbers but a typical signing bonus for a 3rd round player is $500k while a 7th rounder is around $50k, which is guaranteed money. Obviously there is a risk associated with any decision, but I think his upside risk from coming back was higher than the downside risk.

Gerod got his chance at the NFL dream on the basis of his stats this past year. I think it's a great thing for him and his family. However, based on scouting reports (discussed on The Early Birds this morning), his drafting came with concerns regarding his tackling/run stopping ability and willingness, along with his perceived lack of work ethic. He now has the opportunity to prove those perceptions were the "old Gerod". Pittsburgh is a place that places a lot of emphasis on tough, hard nosed players. The Steelers don't play when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. He could not ask for a chance with a better organization, but he will absolutely have to show he is also a tough hitter/tackler along with his ball hawking skills. Best of luck to him.

Pittsburgh is a place that places a lot of emphasis on tough, hard nosed players. The Steelers don't play when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. He could not ask for a chance with a better organization, but he will absolutely have to show he is also a tough hitter/tackler along with his ball hawking skills. Best of luck to him.

I wish much luck to him personally, which includes his team going 0-16, followed by Holliman being dropped by the Yinzburgh Stillers, picked up by the Bengals, and then he develops into a ProBowl DB with a huge contract extension.

Let's just hope he works his tail off and gives it his all and makes it in the NFL.

Gerod got his chance at the NFL dream on the basis of his stats this past year. I think it's a great thing for him and his family. However, based on scouting reports (discussed on The Early Birds this morning), his drafting came with concerns regarding his tackling/run stopping ability and willingness, along with his perceived lack of work ethic. He now has the opportunity to prove those perceptions were the "old Gerod". Pittsburgh is a place that places a lot of emphasis on tough, hard nosed players. The Steelers don't play when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. He could not ask for a chance with a better organization, but he will absolutely have to show he is also a tough hitter/tackler along with his ball hawking skills. Best of luck to him.
"...perceived lack of work ethic"? All year long the UL coaching staff commended Holliman's effort on the field and in the film room preparing him to be in position to make the ints. Maybe he needed to improve on his run support, but the 7th round is just another case of "skinny knees".

"...perceived lack of work ethic"? All year long the UL coaching staff commended Holliman's effort on the field and in the film room preparing him to be in position to make the ints. Maybe he needed to improve on his run support, but the 7th round is just another case of "skinny knees".

Early Birds (Vanetti and Demling) were discussing again this morning that possibly the previous staff (Bedford and Co,) may have expressed concerns to NFL scouts regarding Holliman's work ethic. They both stated they didn't think Grantham felt or would have expressed that particular concern to the NFL scouts, based on his practice and game performances this past year.

Brian Brohm
He got drafted, he has his shot, hard to argue with that. Do the deal, work hard, get paid, don't look back.

He's being coached by Carnell Lake. If he covers like Holliman, works hard, and lays a few hits, he'll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT