ADVERTISEMENT

Any new news on PJCS expansion?

I have not heard anything since early June, when it was reported that UofL included a $55 million expansion of PJCS for 2016-2018 in its capital development plan.

Even though it was included in the plan, no decision on whether to go forward with implementation of the plan had been decided, and the feasibility of expanding is still being explored, per Kenny Klein.

It's my understanding that an expansion to 60 to 63 K is desired prior to the 2019 opening game with Notre Dame. That kinda makes sense. However, I don't really give a damn if we are "larger" than Commonwealth, but I do care about having a stadium we can all be proud of and I'm already proud of PJCS.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Yeah that's right Stonewall . . . especially when uselessakay returns unsold tickets. We averaged close to 54 K last year and that's about 1,500 short of total sellouts for the entire season. Nice try.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

We've come so far so fast with attendance that LPT just can't get their heads around the idea that we could actually out draw them. Of course, with LPT fans, they can't get their heads around much except maybe a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Reactions: wilkie01
At 63k that's plenty. We have been adding some former UK fans in the last few years. Some just finally saw the writing on the wall and decided to switch sides. Some got out of their hollows and went away for an education, then realized what rubes UK fans are.

Having more capacity than Commonwealth Stadium would be nice ... but if you really want to make their heads explode ... increase the YUM to a few seats more than Rupp. They'd lose their minds over that.

To be big, you have to think big and be big by your actions. I remember all the ones that claimed that we could never fill a 42,000 seat stadium. Well, how did that turnout? You have to have drive and vision to grow!

To be big, you have to think big and be big by your actions. I remember all the ones that claimed that we could never fill a 42,000 seat stadium. Well, how did that turnout? You have to have drive and vision to grow!

Don't get me wrong. I love your enthusiasm, but look at the simple fact, of the numbers. Ohio has 12 million people, Kentucky has 4 million. Ohio State is the school in the state, with a small following going to Cincinnati. UofL has to compete with UK for state and city fans. Considering that UK fans are raised from birth like the Taliban, and UK controls the counties fan support. After you leave Jefferson, and its surrounding counties there is very little UofL support.

So lets do the math. The state of Kentucky has 1/3 of the population of Ohio, 70% of Kentucky's population supports the other school, and you want to build a 100,000 seat stadium for the Cards. Makes no sense. If one day UofL stadium is at 70,000 k and filling it on a constant basis that is saying something. If we get in the 60's soon that is great.

Ohio State plays real football. Kentucky does not. Big Difference. The show is in Louisville, NOT in Lexington.

As in the 'Field of Dreams' = Build it and they will come.

As UofL continues to grow with the ACC affiliation, and uk continues their search for mediocrity .....the Cardinals will earn more fans at the expense of uk......that is what bbn fears the most.....always has and always will....that is why they worked so hard at keeping the Cardinals down facilities wise for so many years......they FEAR the Bird and rightfully so.

Ohio State plays real football. Kentucky does not. Big Difference. The show is in Louisville, NOT in Lexington.

It still doesn't increase the size of the pool of potential fans. Ohio has 8 million more. I would love to see our stadium grow as much as anyone on here. I will go with Tom Jurich's statement a few years back We want to grow it right. Adding 30,000 seats at once doesn't make sense, and looks bad on TV. Better to have 1000 wanting tickets then 15,000 empty.

Glad our AD and Administration have some vision because some of our fans certainly don't. You grow your business during lean times. That's what Tom did when he increased the size of PJCS under "Coach Strong's predecessor." That singular decision helped get Louisville into The ACC as much as any.

I started buying season tickets in 1985. I was there when the Crunch Zone was "The Fun Zone". I rode through the parks at Ron Steiner's request giving tickets away in '86 & '87. Jurich has done exactly what he has needed to do to grow our football program into something worthy of a conference like The ACC.

It's time some of our fans got on board.
CJ

It still doesn't increase the size of the pool of potential fans. Ohio has 8 million more. I would love to see our stadium grow as much as anyone on here. I will go with Tom Jurich's statement a few years back We want to grow it right. Adding 30,000 seats at once doesn't make sense, and looks bad on TV. Better to have 1000 wanting tickets then 15,000 empty.

1963-

The Louisville Program will add seats when they think it is right. They are not going to add 30,000 seats. They will add roughly 8,000 seats (plus/minus) when a major name-donor steps up. This Program knows a little more about timing and size and facilities and support and markets than their knowledge-challenged younger siblings to the Southeast.

Reactions: Cardfan1963
1963-

The Louisville Program will add seats when they think it is right. They are not going to add 30,000 seats. They will add roughly 8,000 seats (plus/minus) when a major name-donor steps up. This Program knows a little more about timing and size and facilities and support and markets than their knowledge-challenged younger siblings to the Southeast.

I was responding to the 100,000 comments not reasonable growth comments. I think 8,000 is a reasonable amount of growth. When doing the end zone expansion, you build the expansion ready substructure. I will never say that UofL fan base can't support a 90,000 seat stadium. It will take a bit more time to get it there. That means selling 80,000 season tickets. Then hoping to sell another 10,000 single game seats per game. We might have the fans, but do they have the money.

Just to put the numbers in perspective.
Arrowhead Stadium Kansas City Chiefs 76,416
AT&T Stadium Dallas Cowboys 80,000
Bank of America Stadium Carolina Panthers 73,778
CenturyLink Field Seattle Seahawks 67,000

We are already moving in on the Seahawks.

OSU stadium 104,000
68,482 Ohio State University Enrollment

Papa Johns 55,000
22,298 (2014) University of Louisville, Enrollment
I feel like I am beating my head against the wall here. o_O

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys but I pass the Papa everyday and there working on the frame for the Academic Center underneath the Norton
Terrace at the South entrance!

1963-

I'm not sure NFL stadiums are good comparisons.

If you are looking for more appropriate comparisons (in terms of enrollments and pro-rata state populations) for Louisville, you might try:
  • the two Kansas college P5 stadiums,
  • the four North Carolina college P5 stadiums (also has a very large G4 stadium),
  • the three Indiana college P5 stadiums,
  • the two South Carolina college P5 stadiums,
  • the two Alabama college P5 stadiums,
  • the two Oklahoma college P5 stadiums,
  • the two Iowa college P5 stadiums,
  • the two Mississippi college P5 stadiums,
  • the two Oregon college P5 stadiums,
  • the two Utah college P5 stadiums (arguably indy BYU is practically P5),
  • the TWO Kentucky college P5 stadiums,
  • the ONE New York college P5 stadium,

Other factors to bear in mind are the proximity to NFL teams, as well as the available nearby population.
Louisville (the region, the city and the school) is in a somewhat unique situation.

UL may sell the seats that you're saying they do but there are a lot of empty seats unless you're playing a ranked team. I have a feeling that many seats are sold to corporate sponsors and aren't used. Unless you're just into the expansion as a d*** measuring contest I don't see the need for expanding at the moment when the country as a whole is downsizing. Attendance is down for most teams in most sports it's not me here bashing your fanbase its just the truth

Remember, in addition to UC, Ohio has several MAC schools (Toledo, Ohio, Akron, Kent, Bowling Green) which draw 20-30k per game. If football becomes popular enough, UL can fill 100k, but not at this time. It's all based on the length of the waiting list for season tickets.

UL may sell the seats that you're saying they do but there are a lot of empty seats unless you're playing a ranked team. I have a feeling that many seats are sold to corporate sponsors and aren't used. Unless you're just into the expansion as a d*** measuring contest I don't see the need for expanding at the moment when the country as a whole is downsizing. Attendance is down for most teams in most sports it's not me here bashing your fanbase its just the truth

UofL fans are there. They are just all over the place partying. Screens, beer stands, and party platforms all over that place. Even a few bars. They just actually sit in their seats for the big games.

I think it's important when discussing the look of the stadium and expansion to remember PJCS was built with a footprint of a 55,000 seat stadium. Because of the individual seating the actual max attendance is much smaller than similar sized stadiums with bleacher seats.

Now that we have expanded, the look and feel of the stadium is equal to CWSlite.

That's a very misleading comparison, 63. OSU isn't actually drawing from 8 million - plus OSU competes against the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers as well as a huge state U. network in state that does not exist here on that scale = ultimately OSU football draws from more like the portion within a certain distance of oh say 200 miles. At any rate, it's more than half bogus as comparisons go - we can handle 63k easily and up to 75k is a no brainer IMO.

I think we can handle 63k now. Hopefully they will set the structure to 75k in the future. Again just having them doesn't make them fill up.

Anyway I think the more telling figure is the Alumni size.

I think we can handle 63k now. Hopefully they will set the structure to 75k in the future. Again just having them doesn't make them fill up.

Anyway I think the more telling figure is the Alumni size.

1963-

Living Alumni size is 137,000 now.

Not bad.

(Most of the old-line mega-state universities are at 300,000 or more).

Bigger, better Cards!

It takes a while to create a juggernaut.

...Unless you're just into the expansion as a d*** measuring contest I don't see the need for expanding at the moment...
Because Jurich isn't simply adding 10,000 cheap seats. He's adding half that many high revenue, suite or club seats. Far easier to sell and cost justify that type of expansion.

Gotta remember, we're talking about the opposite stuff that LPT usually does with its facilities.

LPT Football: Smaller is better...

LPT added all new suites on top of their upper deck. Great view for the money! Does that come with a set of binoculars? :p

Because Jurich isn't simply adding 10,000 cheap seats. He's adding half that many high revenue, suite or club seats. Far easier to sell and cost justify that type of expansion.

Gotta remember, we're talking about the opposite stuff that LPT usually does with its facilities.

LPT Football: Smaller is better...

I agree Zipp. The total seat count will be what the premium suites, clubs, donations will finance and not a single chair back seat more. Its TJ's way! Pay for expansion with additional premium items so with each extra seat you have pure profits. Its worked well so far and it will not be changed.

I also wonder if some alterations, additions to the West (traintracks) side will also be included. I see room for 8 new suites on each side of the B & W club on the upper west side for a total of 16 new suites there as we are currently sold out on suites. Also some mini clubs like the PNC could be there as well if you want to create some additional recurring revenue.

I am anxious to find out what he has in mind. Maybe one of our national tv moments will garner an announcement? Maybe right before Sept 5th or on or about Thurs, Sept 17th will be a time TJ uses to get the story of Cardinal football expansion out to recruits and the nation. ;)

We'd be at 65+ now I'm f we had bleachers instead of real seats

I already have enough people around me who are there for the party and to socialize. They're at the concessions and restrooms more than their seats.

Yeah, they're "there" and the ticket is sold. I hope we can grow some more REAL fans to fill these new seats.

Im good with 63k because of the big game coming but I think that's big Enough for a while.

More about Fan Comfort than Seating Capacity...Jurich if I'm not mistaken is modeling it after the Seahawks Stadium and that makes sense.

Also would love to have UofL in regards to WiFi that the 49ers do at Levi Stadium...remember you're competing also against the 80 Inch Flat Screen to get Butts in Seats....This is what Levi Stadium has and would like this at Papa John's:

WiFi

Speaking of the on-field action, 49ers vice president of technology Dan Williams said he and his crew noticed a dip in engagement during the team’s preseason game against the Chargers. As the product on the field gets better, he said, fans will naturally be more inclined to stow their smart phones.

But the devices themselves and speedy rate at which users can consume data inside of the stadium is meant to enhance the in-venue experience.

And many are already taking advantage.

Here are some figures and facts:

400 miles of cabling, 70 of which are for WiFI1,200 access points, 600 of which support the 45,000-seat lower bowl1 access point to every 100 seats within the bowlLevi’s® Stadium became the first stadium to carry 40 Gb/s of Internet capacityAt peak during the 49ers-Broncos preseason game, there 20,000 concurrent users, or an average of 15,000 for the afternoon

Mobile App

Levi’s® Stadium business operations director Chris Giles explained that he and his team sought to create three types of core features within the application: ticketing and parking, food and beverage service and high-quality video replays in addition to a tie-in with the 49ers fan loyalty program, Faithful 49.

Some interesting notes from Giles:

80,000 app downloads thus farHalf of all season-ticket holders have linked their ticket account within the appDuring the 49ers-Chargers game, 1,000-plus food-and-drink deliveries were made in a 10-to-12 minute range after a given order was placed (the goal is to be under 20 minutes)Many fans are taking use of express pick-up lines at concession stands

ADVERTISEMENT