ADVERTISEMENT

Amazon movie "Air"

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Decided to finally watch the Amazon exclusive movie by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon about Nike signing Michael Jordan. Learned quite a bit and it was a very well written film.

But the reason I'm bringing it up here is the absolute awesomeness given to UofL and the dissing of UK.

Early in the movie, when discussing who Nike can sign from the NBA draft, they talk about Lancaster Gordon as their best option since they can't afford Michael Jordan. Someone brings up Melvin Turpin and Sonny Vaccaro, played by Matt Damon, eviscerates Turpin, saying he won't be in the league in four years.

Also, on the walls of the offices are framed posters of various NBA players and one is Darrell Griffith that says Dr. Dunkenstein, and it's a close up shot too.

I was surprised. Not used to that.

I also saw it this weekend and had much the same takeaways that you have. Thought Damon shined in his role as Vacarro and Affleck was so so as Phil Knight.

The movie was worth the watch. Even my wife liked it and noticed the Louisville players props. I don't remember who said this about Turpin..."Dinner Bell Mel and his love of pizza" but Vacarro got that one right about Turpin's brief stay in the NBA.

I thought it was weird at first that they weren't showing the actor's face playing Michael Jordan. But by the end of the movie, it made sense. The movie is about everyone around MJ and they reminded us of him by having real Jordan clips throughout the film.

Seeing an actor that wouldn't resemble MJ's famous face could of taken audiences in the wrong direction, but by leaving him off the screen, we could focus on the story which is about the people around the megastar.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the movie is. I've never been a fan of the NBA and MJ was just another superstar athlete, but the story around Nike and the unprecedented deal it made with Jordan, I really didn't know much about.

I recommend the movie even if you're not a NBA fan.

And Chris Tucker was in it........Do you understand the words that are comin out of my mouth!

Loved the movie! Jordan's mom was NO JOKE!

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT