ADVERTISEMENT

Almost made it through another year without watching any NBA...

Magic is another phenomenal all time PG. But Lebron James is doing the same thing Magic did back in the day, aside from winning titles with James Worthy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Magic is not "another phenomenal all time PG", he is the best PG ever.

Love ya but have to stop you right here. Magic won a title his rookie year Worthy wasn't there yet and Kareem did not suit up in the close out game. Magic started @ C and had 42&15 as a rookie in the close out game. He played all five positions. Nobody is doing things similar to this. It was a bit before your time so I understand maybe not being able to truly appreciate what he accomplished.

Lebron is a great player but let's not casually place asterisks on titles guys won in the past.

Magic is not "another phenomenal all time PG", he is the best PG ever.

Love ya but have to stop you right here. Magic won a title his rookie year Worthy wasn't there yet and Kareem did not suit up in the close out game. Magic started @ C and had 42&15 as a rookie in the close out game. He played all five positions. Nobody is doing things similar to this. It was a bit before your time so I understand maybe not being able to truly appreciate what he accomplished.

Lebron is a great player but let's not casually place asterisks on titles guys won in the past.
That is an incredible performance by Magic. Maybe the most clutch of all time, but do you agree there are similarities between Magic and James? James spent 1/3 of his time playing center for the Cavs in this series, while leading both teams in points (38), rebounds (13), and assists (9). Now, he didn't win the title either, and it wasn't his rookie year. But while Magic had Kareem averaging 33 points per game for 5 games of that series, Lebron James had ... Matthew Dellavadova? Tristan Thompson? Timophey Mosgov? JR Smith? But Magic was mortal just like James. In 1983 James Worthy was injured and the Lakers were swept in the Finals. James managed to squeeze 2 wins out of this team despite missing 2 injured All Stars on his team.

There seems to be a lot of hate for the NBA farm team down the road, which is causing a lot of hate for the NBA in general. No offense to John Stockton, he's a legend, but Steph Curry is a different breed of PG that just carried his team to a title - something John Stockton couldn't do with another Hall of Famer on his team. Want to talk about great shooting? Reggie Miller held the record with 58 3-pt shots hit in a single NBA Playoff with 58 - Steph Curry just hit 98 in 2015. Magic is another phenomenal all time PG. But Lebron James is doing the same thing Magic did back in the day, aside from winning titles with James Worthy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I understand the NBA product was better in the 80's and 90's, but that doesn't make it unwatchable or unrespectable in 2015. There are players making history today, just like they were in the 80's. But it's a different game.

UK has nothing to do with the product the NBA puts on the floor these days. Don't pretend that matters or influences my opinion. I agree Steph could hold his own if he was playing against guys back in the day just like his dad. --Dell could stroke it. But Dell didn't dominate because the talent level was much higher overall. He never sniffed MVP. Back then you went against the best players every night. These days you get nights off playing against potential. Which also allows for stat stuffing. Or boy band fabricating.

You mentioned Malone and Stockton for your argument. If anything though that just proves how tough it was back then when those two didn't win one. The NBA product was much much much better back then. Men against men. Today half the league are guys just a couple years removed from HS with some really old veterans sprinkled in to get the age average up.

It is watchable if you want to see LBJ go against HS talent. I prefer the old days and therefor pass on today's product. I like basketball but I don't got time to watch HS games. That's for guys either trying to date high schoolers or make money off them.

That is an incredible performance by Magic. Maybe the most clutch of all time, but do you agree there are similarities between Magic and James? James spent 1/3 of his time playing center for the Cavs in this series, while leading both teams in points (38), rebounds (13), and assists (9). Now, he didn't win the title either, and it wasn't his rookie year. But while Magic had Kareem averaging 33 points per game for 5 games of that series, Lebron James had ... Matthew Dellavadova? Tristan Thompson? Timophey Mosgov? JR Smith? But Magic was mortal just like James. In 1983 James Worthy was injured and the Lakers were swept in the Finals. James managed to squeeze 2 wins out of this team despite missing 2 injured All Stars on his team.

No doubt I see the similarities in regards to making other players better while at the same time taking a game over.

It just feels like something is missing keeping him out of the same breath as Magic/MJ/Bird/Hakeem/Kobe. I think their mental approach and understanding of the game, intangibles.....plus he isn't facing off against legends like they were.

I do like James. He's a product of the era.

UK has nothing to do with the product the NBA puts on the floor these days. Don't pretend that matters or influences my opinion...
Rye has to rationalize the overwhelming dislike for the NBA around these parts somehow. So he chooses the LPT theory that LPT fans like Thunderdunk spew.

If it resembles anything related to LPT, that's one more reason to dislike it. But it's just one of many. Off the top of my head, these are the reasons I love the game...
  • When players play hard, it's in the postseason.
  • Too little defense played.
  • Too many unknown guys and foreigners.
  • Players and teams are a shadow of their predecessors and make a hundred times more money.
  • The coaches are baby sitters and psychologists.
  • It's a "player's game". Translated: the inmates are in charge of the asylum.
  • A guy like Lebron can say the hell with what the coach called--here's the play we're running.
  • The same guy gets in a postgame interview and embarrasses himself. And he's recognized as the best player in the game.
  • Athletes are way overpaid (an indictment of most pro sports).
  • As a result, it's ridiculously expensive.
  • Too many knuckleheads embarrassing themselves OFF the court (another pro sports indictment).
  • You don't want these guys living in your community.
  • Siphons attention away from the college game.
  • Reminds me too much of LPT.
I'm sure there are a few others. On further reflection, surprises me I left it on TV for a few minutes...

Yeah. Can we have one thread were someone doesn't bring up UK? The handlers don't want these guys to grow up with class. That's why "remember where you come from" is so popular. No. You should forget real quick. :)

UK has nothing to do with the product the NBA puts on the floor these days. Don't pretend that matters or influences my opinion. I agree Steph could hold his own if he was playing against guys back in the day just like his dad. --Dell could stroke it. But Dell didn't dominate because the talent level was much higher overall. He never sniffed MVP. Back then you went against the best players every night. These days you get nights off playing against potential. Which also allows for stat stuffing. Or boy band fabricating.

You mentioned Malone and Stockton for your argument. If anything though that just proves how tough it was back then when those two didn't win one. The NBA product was much much much better back then. Men against men. Today half the league are guys just a couple years removed from HS with some really old veterans sprinkled in to get the age average up.

It is watchable if you want to see LBJ go against HS talent. I prefer the old days and therefor pass on today's product. I like basketball but I don't got time to watch HS games. That's for guys either trying to date high schoolers or make money off them.
I bet you walked uphill both ways to school bare foot in the snow. Why do you bring up WWW and his band of one-and-dones then act like someone else brought up UK? This is a pointless argument with so much hyperbole thrown in.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
...This is a pointless argument with so much hyperbole thrown in.
I'm not losing track of what the argument is... You can't offer any good reasons why the NBA is a product worth watching. Not when we have U of L basketball as the alternative along with ten months or so of other high quality U of L sports programs.

This ain't a pro sports community, and pro sports are a clear threat to U of L's success. Many of my criticisms above are characteristic of pro sports generally. I'd prefer that ALL pro sports are out of this community at all levels. Obviously, I can't control that, and I'm thankful that we have so little of it. Hopefully, community efforts to occasionally schedule exhibition games fail except for a sport like the WNBA which poses no serious threat and possibly fosters a positive women's basketball culture here.

And except for the NFL--which will never come to Louisville--pro sports are languishing in terms of fan support. (The NFL would have far less interest if gambling wasn't in the equation.) Louisville simply mirrors national trends except for a few holdouts like Rye. It may get hyped and exaggerated by ESPN and other self serving pro sports interests. But the reality for most of us is that the NBA and pro sports pretty much suck right down the line...

Last edited:
Reactions: OmegaCard
I bet you walked uphill both ways to school bare foot in the snow. Why do you bring up WWW and his band of one-and-dones then act like someone else brought up UK? This is a pointless argument with so much hyperbole thrown in.

I wasn't aware LBJ was a one-and-done. Or that he went to UK. You're the one who made the UK connection. Or have UK on the brain.

Back to the original argument, there's not one aspect of the NBA imo that is better in any way compared to the hey day of the 80's and 90's.The guards were better. The big men were better. They didn't have a court full of 19/20 year olds back then. All the draft sites have a 19yr who average 10pt and 6 rebs going number 1. That's all you really need to know about the state of today's product. So enjoy your Taylor Swift/ Justin Beiber nightly concerts. That is what Madison Ave is about these days. --Youth. Unfortunately though that doesn't work well for sports. And like most grown men, watching a bunch of teenagers isn't my thing.

I wasn't aware LBJ was a one-and-done. Or that he went to UK. You're the one who made the UK connection. Or have UK on the brain.

Back to the original argument, there's not one aspect of the NBA imo that is better in any way compared to the hey day of the 80's and 90's.The guards were better. The big men were better. They didn't have a court full of 19/20 year olds back then. All the draft sites have a 19yr who average 10pt and 6 rebs going number 1. That's all you really need to know about the state of today's product. So enjoy your Taylor Swift/ Justin Beiber nightly concerts. That is what Madison Ave is about these days. --Youth. Unfortunately though that doesn't work well for sports. And like most grown men, watching a bunch of teenagers isn't my thing.
Do you expect anyone to believe that referencing "WWW and his band of one-and-dones" had nothing to do with UK? Do you even believe that?

For the record, 38 year old Tim Duncan won the title last year. Were you aware of that? Do you discount Tim's first title because he was 23 when he won it?

I'm not losing track of what the argument is... You can't offer any good reasons why the NBA is a product worth watching. Not when we have U of L basketball as the alternative along with ten months or so of other high quality U of L sports programs.
It's called an OPINION, Zipp. Holy shit, man. I enjoy the NBA because I'm a basketball fan first and foremost. I don't hold the history of the game or the personalities of the players against the sport I love. That is my opinion. You have yours. You're not going to change it. And I don't care if you do. All I'm arguming is your lack of objectivity regarding the subject. You hate it because it isn't the 80's and it threatens UofL. I get it. I like the NBA because I love basketball. Let's just agree to disagree from here.

You've lost it guy. The conversation was about LBJ being one of the best ever.
Do you expect anyone to believe that referencing "WWW and his band of one-and-dones" had nothing to do with UK? Do you even believe that?

For the record, 38 year old Tim Duncan won the title last year. Were you aware of that? Do you discount Tim's first title because he was 23 when he won it?

You've lost it guy. I haven't been on here much lately, but I suspect you've been running around playing hall monitor telling every one how uncool it is to mention UK in threads. I was being sarcastic because I could care less if someone wants to bring up UK. -- I only mentioned WWW because of his connection to LBJ and the argument of LBJ being the best of all time. It must have been to much for your closet loving UK feelings.

I did know about Duncan. He won that title with an aging David Robinson. ;)

@zipp- If the NBA Finals were one long movie, you started watching that movie at the last 5 minutes of the conclusion, but actually watched only 1 minute or so of that, disregarded the entire rest of the movie that you didn't see, and decided before you ever started watching that you weren't going to like it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Rye_UL
You've lost it guy. The conversation was about LBJ being one of the best ever.

You've lost it guy. I haven't been on here much lately, but I suspect you've been running around playing hall monitor telling every one how uncool it is to mention UK in threads. I was being sarcastic because I could care less if someone wants to bring up UK. -- I only mentioned WWW because of his connection to LBJ and the argument of LBJ being the best of all time. It must have been to much for your closet loving UK feelings.

I did know about Duncan. He won that title with an aging David Robinson. ;)
I've lost it how, exactly? I get tired of seeing threads that bait UK trolls to our forum. Generally, I like talking about all this useless stuff with my fellow UofL fans, but threads like this have me second guessing. There a few people here that just don't respect other's opinions.

I've lost it how, exactly? I get tired of seeing threads that bait UK trolls to our forum. Generally, I like talking about all this useless stuff with my fellow UofL fans, but threads like this have me second guessing. There a few people here that just don't respect other's opinions.

How in the world you tried to tie my post(s) into a UK swipe I have no idea. WWW is often referred to as the most powerful man in basketball. He's also connected to James at the hip. The posts I was responding to was about James being one of the best of all times. I merely think some of that is due to his relationship with the most powerful man in basketball. Get it? Accusing people of UK this or UK that...seems childish.

IMO Stockton and Malone would have pick and rolled James all night long. I seriously don't think James would have been a star in the 80's or 90's. He seems more desperate to be known as a wheeler and dealer than winning championships anyways. And since his mgmt team always has him in the greatest of his era debate...I guess that's as good enough for him.

It's called an OPINION, Zipp. Holy shit, man. I enjoy the NBA because I'm a basketball fan first and foremost. I don't hold the history of the game or the personalities of the players against the sport I love. That is my opinion. You have yours. You're not going to change it. And I don't care if you do. All I'm arguming is your lack of objectivity regarding the subject. You hate it because it isn't the 80's and it threatens UofL. I get it. I like the NBA because I love basketball. Let's just agree to disagree from here.
So how does classifying the debate as "opinion" differentiate it from most others in this space? We all come with opinions, and many try to justify them with facts or data. Your point is irrelevant.

I get the impression that you're trying to end the discussion by blurring the issue before ("this is a pointless argument with so much hyperbole thrown in") and doing it again now ("let's just agree to disagree"). If you wanna end it, just stop posting in the thread unilaterally. Telling me/us that the debate is pointless or should end is just your opinion. Your only arguments--NBA popularity and LPT dislike--don't hold water. And my opinion is you don't wanna recognize that or that you don't have much more ammunition to fire. No reason to debate that opinion on my part--like I said, you can just not respond...

So how does classifying the debate as "opinion" differentiate it from most others in this space? We all come with opinions, and many try to justify them with facts or data. Your point is irrelevant.

I get the impression that you're trying to end the discussion by blurring the issue before ("this is a pointless argument with so much hyperbole thrown in") and doing it again now ("let's just agree to disagree"). If you wanna end it, just stop posting in the thread unilaterally. Telling me/us that the debate is pointless or should end is just your opinion. Your only arguments--NBA popularity and LPT dislike--don't hold water. And my opinion is you don't wanna recognize that or that you don't have much more ammunition to fire. No reason to debate that opinion on my part--like I said, you can just not respond...
"You can't offer any good reasons why the NBA is a product worth watching"

Nothing I could say would ever convince you the NBA is worth watching. If I had to guess, no one has much luck convincing you of anything. I can really respect that when you're educated on the subject and have formed a solid opinion based on facts. You usually know what you're talking about in most cases. But what I'm seeing is that you aren't too familiar with the current day subject and you're not going to give it a chance. I can talk about how Golden State has the best defense and 2nd best offense in the NBA. I can talk about how Dellavadova hit the floor 17 times in games 1 and 2 hustling his ass off. I can talk about how Golden State's assist rate is off the charts because of their excellent passing. I can mention how Lebron's post game has evolved and made him a complete player, or that he set the record for highest % of points accounted for by any single player in NBA Finals history. I can talk about how Steph Curry is a legendary shooter and just broke and NBA shooting record in an even more impressive fashion than Harrell broke the UofL dunk record. It's just falling of deaf ears. You don't care to take anyone's opinion into serious consideration. I've conceeded that the NBA is not what it used to be. I'm perfectly aware that Lebron is a douchebag off the court. None of that affects my enjoyment when watching the playoffs, because for briefs periods, you just can't beat it at this time of the year. There are moments of basketball greatness in every Finals I've ever watched. It may be few and far between, but it's there. It's not unlike music. My wife hates Pink Floyd, but if I get her to sit down and listen through the solo of Comfortably Numb on a great set of speakers ... she gets it. She just had to give it an honest listen.

"You can't offer any good reasons why the NBA is a product worth watching".

Nothing I could say would ever convince you the NBA is worth watching. If I had to guess, no one has much luck convincing you of anything...
Well, at least you're giving it another try. And there's no reason to get personal.

The problem I see with most of your arguments in favor of the NBA is that you're too willing to put lipstick on pig. And I'm sure you think I'm too willing to call it a pig. You mention a lot of points in opposition to mine. But at the same time, you concede that the product isn't what it used to be. And that the accomplishments in your last post are in a league of lower quality. And higher paid players. And one that attracts far fewer eyeballs in this country than it did 20 years ago. You even label its best player a "douchebag". And I wouldn't stop with that guy.

Those are all points you apparently recognize; yet, you wanna take the OP to task. I simply think you wanna defend the NBA no matter how bad we all--including you--think it is. And that's fine, just acknowledge that if it applies...

Last edited:
As if I needed additional motivation, all I needed to hear today is the possibility that D'Angelo Russell could sneak up to the #1 overall NBA Draft pick. A non-L1C4 guy who couldn't get what he wanted at U of L.

And if not DR, maybe some foreign dude that no one's heard of. Oh, and Devin Booker might crack the Top Ten.

Yeah, THAT'S my league...

Last edited:
The problem I see with most of your arguments in favor of the NBA is that you're too willing to put lipstick on pig. And I'm sure you think I'm too willing to call it a pig. You mention a lot of points in opposition to mine. But at the same time, you concede that the product isn't what it used to be. And that the accomplishments in your last post are in a league of lower quality. And higher paid players. And one that attracts far fewer eyeballs in this country than it did 20 years ago. You even label its best player a "douchebag". And I wouldn't stop with that guy.
I'm not putting lipstick on a pig, Zipp. I'm posting facts. Any thing beyond that is my perception which you are not entitled to tell me is right or wrong. I'm 30 years old, and I've been playing the game for 25 years, and I've watched it at every level. In the NBA, I don't care about the motivation of the players, their salaries, their egos, or their infectious smile (I'm looking at you, Magic). I'm looking at how they play the game. The competitive fire. The ridiculous vision, shooting, and finishing. The way Curry comes off 4 screens in a single set and gets his shot off in 1/4 of a second. I can appreciate that pig. That's a pig that's looks better than it has for the last 15 years. I'm okay with that, even knowing it isn't what it used to be.

How did you respond to UofL basketball recovering after Pitino took over? Did you see it as lipstick on a pig, compared to the 80's? Or were you excited to just see a winning product back on the floor? What about after Strong took over the football program? Was it a pig because he didn't pick up right where Petrino left off?

Those are all points you apparently recognize; yet, you wanna take the OP to task. I simply think you wanna defend the NBA no matter how bad we all--including you--think it is. And that's fine, just acknowledge that if it applies...
And the root of your argument shows it's ugly head again. You're trying to tell me what I think, despite everything I have written. You're just not reading, or you're just not comprehending because you don't care what I have to say. There are 2 parts to communication. Talking and listening. You are very good at one of those, but the other seems non-existent on a message board level.

As if I needed additional motivation, all I needed to hear today is the possibility that D'Angelo Russell could sneak up to the #1 overall NBA Draft pick. A non-L1C4 guy who couldn't get what he wanted at U of L.

And if not DR, maybe some foreign dude that no one's heard of. Oh, and Devin Booker might crack the Top Ten.

It's sounding like Towns is #1 and it's a done deal. I strongly agree with that pick too. Looking beyond the motives of D'Angelo Russell, he is an insanely talented basketball player. I doubt he has his life goals figured out at the age of 18, but I'm guessing he's going to continue to grow mentally, just like the rest of us. As a basketball player, his talent is undeniable. There's no way he should go outside the top 5.

You haven't heard of the MJ of the Congo? Dude! Where have you been? His potential to sign a terrible agent player contract is through the roof.

Rye have you stayed up till 4 in the morning to watch him play yet? j/k

When I look at draft boards, I just scroll right past the foreign players. Someone on the national board brought up a good point - if Kaminsky were a foreign player, they'd be talking about him in the top 5. Extremely skilled 7 footer with an outside stroke and great defensive rebounding. The mystery is all that is lacking. Him, Jerian Grant, and Rakeem Christmas are the 3 most underrated players in this draft. It's no coincidence that they're seniors.

It's almost cruel to see what the draft does to some of these "wishfull thinking" GM's in the lottery. They're going to draft guys like Cauley-Stein, Booker, Johnson, Looney, etc based on high upside, and leave guys like Kaminsky, Grant, Wright, and Rozier for the perennial playoff contenders late in the first round. The rich get richer and the poor, may or may not get any better. To be fair, they're thinking win big or fail big (for future picks). The worst place to be in the NBA is right in the middle.

They draft foreign players to raise awareness for the league in those particular countries. Frank could be a 9 out of 10 and the foreign guy a 7 out of 10. And they will always draft the foreign guy first. Why? The higher the draft pick the more hype they bring into the league. Thus increasing the interest in the game in that particular country for that particular player.

Last edited:
...I'm 30 years old...
Thanks for acknowledging that, and that's the bigger issue. You can say you've watched pro basketball since you were 5 years old. But with all due respect, you were incapable of seeing the product for what it was until the last ten years or so. How do I know that? Because I was a kid once. You don't really know what the NBA used to be except by reading or watching old videos. That's the biggest reason why you're enamored with the current version.
...I don't care about the motivation of the players, their salaries, their egos...
So, you're saying that nothing off the field of play affects how you see the game? Does that extend to U of L? If one of our coaches or players shows himself off the court, is that OK with you? If not, why does the NBA get a free pass? It shouldn't.
...The competitive fire...
I think someone must have hijacked your computer for a second here... A league that itself admits that most of the players cruise through three-fourths of the regular season games has "competitive fire"? Either you were hijacked or trying to crack a joke. C'mon, let's have an intelligent debate.
...That's a pig that's looks better than it has for the last 15 years. I'm okay with that, even knowing it isn't what it used to be...
I think Blackberries and vinyl records are selling better than they have for awhile. Are you switching over? That's why I say you're putting lipstick on a pig. You're trying to find any reason at all to look at the NBA positively. You're acknowledging stuff I agree with, but you're so forgiving because it's the NBA. Makes no sense unless you treat everything else in life that way.
...How did you respond to UofL basketball recovering after Pitino took over? Did you see it as lipstick on a pig, compared to the 80's? Or were you excited to just see a winning product back on the floor? What about after Strong took over the football program? Was it a pig because he didn't pick up right where Petrino left off?...
Not sure I understand those analogies... U of L had excelled in both of those sports prior to hiring great coaches and attempting comebacks, which we did successfully. I don't blame the NBA for TRYING to improve. I blame it for failing in large part, for having a fundamentally flawed product, and for not taking the right steps to address that. Strong and Pitino were precisely the right steps. Poor analogies.
...And the root of your argument shows it's ugly head again. You're trying to tell me what I think, despite everything I have written. You're just not reading, or you're just not comprehending because you don't care what I have to say. There are 2 parts to communication. Talking and listening. You are very good at one of those, but the other seems non-existent on a message board level...
We just don't agree, and we each refuse to give up the debate. I think you're way to dismissive of the warts on the NBA, warts that you see yourself. That really makes no sense to me. If I see enough warts on anything, I bark "WARTS!"
...It's sounding like Towns is #1 and it's a done deal. I strongly agree with that pick too. Looking beyond the motives of D'Angelo Russell, he is an insanely talented basketball player. I doubt he has his life goals figured out at the age of 18, but I'm guessing he's going to continue to grow mentally, just like the rest of us. As a basketball player, his talent is undeniable. There's no way he should go outside the top 5.
Sorry, but I'm not really interested in talking about the NBA Draft--I can see that you are. I just use recent news or speculation about it to bolster my viewpoints. There's no better indicator of the quality--maybe the future quality--of something than to analyze its feeder system, how it is supplied, how things and people brought into it are valued. By just looking at the NBA Draft over multiple years, I could probably tell what I needed to know about the NBA itself. That was my only point...

You are just impossible to talk to. I'm sure you're a great guy and all outside the forum, but this is getting ridiculous. Cheers

ADVERTISEMENT