ADVERTISEMENT

ACC trivia: What is the largest number of consecutive seasons that any ACC teams have played?

What is the largest number of consecutive seasons that any ACC teams have played?

Votes: 4 57.1%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 28.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NoKyCard

3500+
Feb 10, 2005
Long before the conference was formed, many of the current ACC teams started playing each other regularly, and have been since the turn of the century (the 20th century!). But for various reasons, there were often interruptions in these continuing rivalries. Breaks could frequently run a few years without a game, or sometimes there would be just a single year break in an otherwise long running series. But some teams have managed to matchup every year for over 90 years. So what is the largest number of consecutive seasons that any current ACC members have staged a game?

Syracuse has been playing since 1889. I believe that UNC and Virginia have a year on us.

Syracuse has been playing since 1889. I believe that UNC and Virginia have a year on us.
I apologize for the lack of clarity in my posing of the question. More precisely, it should have said: What is the most consecutive seasons that the same two teams have played each other. Sorry for that.

This must have been a tough one, as only 2 of you out there got this one right!

North Carolina is involved in 2 of the top 3 longest consecutive game streaks, having played close neighboring town Duke for 93 consecutive seasons, and neighboring state Virginia for 96 straight years.

But the longest consecutive seasons of games played is held by fellow Carolinians N.C.State and Wake Forest, who have now gone against each other for 105 consecutive seasons. Pretty amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT