ADVERTISEMENT

ACC intra-conference trivia

How many teams have, at some time, played every other team currently in the conference?

Votes: 3 12.5%

Votes: 4 16.7%

Votes: 6 25.0%

Votes: 6 25.0%

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

NoKyCard

3500+
Feb 10, 2005
I was researching historical data on some ACC teams, and thought some of it would make interesting trivia quizzes to pass the time this summer. I'll throw one out there every so often, and post the answer a while later.

I'm a little confused on the question ...

How many teams, have played every other team in the conference -- anytime, not necessarily as conference foes? So our games with Pitt in the Big East would count .. or with Virginia Tech back in the day ...

Is that what you are asking?

Good question ... I wonder if we have ... I think so ... The one I think we may not have, Georgia Tech? Surely we've met them sometime in the past. Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake Forest, Va Tech, UVA, Miami, Fl St, Clemson, Syracuse, Pitt, BC ... we've definitely played all these guys.

We just played Georgia Tech in baseball...

And we've played them multiple times in basketball ... but since this was the football forum, I assumed this was solely about football ...

Color me confused on the trivia question ....

But I appreciate the effort.

I was researching historical data on some ACC teams, and thought some of it would make interesting trivia quizzes to pass the time this summer. I'll throw one out there every so often, and post the answer a while later.

Trivia answer.

Thanks for comments. Yes, this is just about football. Yes, it was meant to include any game ever between the teams, even prior to conference membership for any team. No, I didn't consider ND as a conference team. Maybe I should. They're kind of like a distant cousin. Are they family, or are they just a party crasher?!! Going forward, I'll make clear whether they are in or out, as least as far as the trivia questions go.

I had a hard time coming up with the wording of this question, and apologize that it wasn't so clear. In any case, here is the answer.

To the poster who responded 13, I feel bad that I left that trap for you. 13 is the only answer that is not possible. If each of 13 teams played each of the other 13 teams, then perforce the 14th team would have had to play all 13 of the other teams. Another way to look at it is, if one team, say team A, played every other team except team B, then BOTH team A and team B would not have played every other team. Enough of the professorial logic.

Louisville has played all but Georgia Tech. We've played just once against Duke, and, of course, Clemson for the 1st time last season.

There is one other pairing that has not yet occurred, and that is Pitt vs Wake Forest.

So the short answer, after all that prose, is:

This is a correction to my original statement regarding Notre Dame's intra-conference matcups..

I previously stated: "The Irish HAVE played every current ACC member. Louisville, Clemson, and NCSt just once each, but all the others multiple times."

This is incorrect, as the Irish have never played Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
Trivia answer.

Thanks for comments. Yes, this is just about football. Yes, it was meant to include any game ever between the teams, even prior to conference membership for any team. No, I didn't consider ND as a conference team. Maybe I should. They're kind of like a distant cousin. Are they family, or are they just a party crasher?!! Going forward, I'll make clear whether they are in or out, as least as far as the trivia questions go.

I had a hard time coming up with the wording of this question, and apologize that it wasn't so clear. In any case, here is the answer.

To the poster who responded 13, I feel bad that I left that trap for you. 13 is the only answer that is not possible. If each of 13 teams played each of the other 13 teams, then perforce the 14th team would have had to play all 13 of the other teams. Another way to look at it is, if one team, say team A, played every other team except team B, then BOTH team A and team B would not have played every other team. Enough of the professorial logic.

Louisville has played all but Georgia Tech. We've played just once against Duke, and, of course, Clemson for the 1st time last season.

There is one other pairing that has not yet occurred, and that is Pitt vs Wake Forest.

So the short answer, after all that prose, is:

Sorry, NoKy.

Great Poll!

And 13 is, in fact, possible. Sorry.

In BB or FB or WBB, 13 is possible. 14 in WBB or MBB is possible.

But I enjoyed the question!!!!

Because it makes people think!

Sorry, NoKy.

Great Poll!

And 13 is, in fact, possible. Sorry.

In BB or FB or WBB, 13 is possible. 14 in WBB or MBB is possible.

But I enjoyed the question!!!!

Because it makes people think!

I don't think 13 is possible. If there is one team that hasn't played all the other members, then whoever they haven't played also hasn't played them. Thus there are 2 teams that have never played all members, so 13 is not possible. But glad you enjoyed the first question.

NoKy, were you considering Notre Dame as part of conference? I realize now that you are only talking about FB.

ADVERTISEMENT