ADVERTISEMENT

93.9 The Ville

Feb 3, 2014
Dear 93.9 The Ville. First, congrats on being the new flagship for all things UL sports related. I’m glad to have all UL programming where I can find it.

Second….I’m speaking for myself now as I do not pretend that mine is the prevalent opinion among all or even most UL fans. That said… WE DESERVE BETTER!

By that, I specifically am referring to the programming that occurs M-F from 10:00 AM to Noon. I’m good with the morning drive, the V show (on 105.7) and the afternoon Drive with Mark Enis and company. But, Maybin and Rummage simply do not meet the standards exhibited by your other programs. They seem very unprofessional, unprepared (seems like they are always stalling to fill their two hour show), and pretty much repeat the same show everyday. Their grammar is horrible (I seen, I done, He come over) which shows their lack of professionalism and reflects poorly on UL and your station.

For me, I’ve had enough. I know that this town has knowledge and entertaining personalities who could do a far better job in this time slot and who would improve the image of your station while providing the listener with a far better product.
Thank you for your time.

We all have different tastes. Frankly, I enjoy their show, especially during basketball season. Rummage is a little bit too fanboy-ish at times, but he and Maybin play off each other well. I don’t see them as unprepared. I’d say Deener is oftentimes the most unprepared on the station which does irk me. It’s sports radio so I’m not worried about the grammar. I do wish most talk shows would be quicker to dump calls from people that can’t get to their point.

Hey Knucks! I appreciate your point of view and each of us has our own likes and dislikes. I’m looking for smart, insightful content and I’m just not getting it from Maybin’s show. They (IMHO) come off as 8th grade chuckle head laughing at their own inside jokes. They constantly blame Nick V. (not a fan of him either) for their own mistakes and they seem averse to having guests on the show who can speak knowledgeably on any topic.
In my opinion, Rummage comes off as a sycophant who is forced to agree with Maybin, and Maybin comes off as an egotist (reference the show’s opening) who wants to control every narrative.
My main point is that I know their are better alternatives. If 93.9 is t9 be the flagship of UL sports, then they need to really up their game in this time slot.

I think the Maybin show has taken a nose dive since Valvano’s son took over the “producing” of the program. He’s terrible. Constantly interrupting, changing the subject off sports, letting UK callers slip through on the air, dead air, promos playing over commercials and Vice versa. I think his name is Nick. Obviously, got a job because of Daddy. Brian Hall and Patty Ice were 10,000x better as producers.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
I think the Maybin show has taken a nose dive since Valvano’s son took over the “producing” of the program. He’s terrible. Constantly interrupting, changing the subject off sports, letting UK callers slip through on the air, dead air, promos playing over commercials and Vice versa. I think his name is Nick. Obviously, got a job because of Daddy. Brian Hall and Patty Ice were 10,000x better as producers.
I couldn’t agree more!!! But Maybin and Rummage are not helping themselves.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I’ve kinda gotten used to Deener. He is who he is. He had about 2 weeks of remorse after his troubles and now it’s back to normal with his overly correcting and shaming his on air co-host stooges. I’d love just one time for one of them to tell him to STFU…

I still say and will always say….Deener is paid to be a UofL fan.

Blankenbaker, IMO, was added to help neutralize Deener’s caustic personality. He makes the show much more palatable. If 93.9 is to succeed as the flagship of UL sports, they need to take a long look in the mirror and make the necessary adjustments to reflect the quality to match the FB and BB improvements that we hope are currently underway.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
My unsolicited contribution here admittedly is based on very limited experience, as I cannot tolerate any of these local radio shows for more than a minute before turning them off.. I do not intend this to be offensive, but I cannot understand how anyone can listen to any of them with any regularity?

The very few times that that I try to tune in, I feel lIke I walked into a conversation between people who are only talking to hear themselves talk. Some talk on top of one another, often repeating themselves, often contradicting themselves.

I know this will further minimize my credibility on the subject, but the last time I was a regular listener, and well as a participant, goes all the way back to when Van Vance was hosting his call-in show on WHAS. The “double V” tried to remain neutral, and devoted the vast majority to those calling in. It was not perfect, but it resulted in diverse opinions that were not always as predictable as what is aired these days.

Speaking of local sports talk radio, Rutherford put it out there he’s a Covid long hauler. Sounds like everyday is a struggle for him with a wide array of various symptoms. Sounds awful. He’s a good dude.

Speaking of local sports talk radio, Rutherford put it out there he’s a Covid long hauler. Sounds like everyday is a struggle for him with a wide array of various symptoms. Sounds awful. He’s a good dude.
Mike is a smart host who always has good takes. Hate to hear he’s ailing.

Why was the Rutherford show cancelled? Pretty much everyone (90%+) agreed Ramsey & Rutherford was the best Louisville show on the radio.

As for Maybin, his show used to be #2 after R&R and I'd listen every day. I no longer do, it's mostly filler and I end up not paying attention after a bit. He is true to being a legit Louisville guy, so I give him props for that.

I listen to Maybin most days at work half-way paying attention. I do agree 70% of the show is annoying and the obsession with music intros and other silly inside jokes does get old. However, I listen for that 30% of the time where Maybin has a good guest on or has good insight into basketball. He does have good connections so occasionally get good information.

The tweet he put out talking about his diagnosis and the symptoms he’s having was hard to read. Just terrible.

My unsolicited contribution here admittedly is based on very limited experience, as I cannot tolerate any of these local radio shows for more than a minute before turning them off.. I do not intend this to be offensive, but I cannot understand how anyone can listen to any of them with any regularity?

The very few times that that I try to tune in, I feel lIke I walked into a conversation between people who are only talking to hear themselves talk. Some talk on top of one another, often repeating themselves, often contradicting themselves.

I know this will further minimize my credibility on the subject, but the last time I was a regular listener, and well as a participant, goes all the way back to when Van Vance was hosting his call-in show on WHAS. The “double V” tried to remain neutral, and devoted the vast majority to those calling in. It was not perfect, but it resulted in diverse opinions that were not always as predictable as what is aired these days.
Van Vance!!!

Reactions: jmac1029
Why was the Rutherford show cancelled? Pretty much everyone (90%+) agreed Ramsey & Rutherford was the best Louisville show on the radio.

As for Maybin, his show used to be #2 after R&R and I'd listen every day. I no longer do, it's mostly filler and I end up not paying attention after a bit. He is true to being a legit Louisville guy, so I give him props for that.
I had high hopes for Ramsey and Rutherford, but I found that John couldn’t bring himself to ever criticize anything Louisville and I felt like Mike mostly didn’t pay attention. His new show is much better IMO.

...I’m looking for smart, insightful content...
That was probably your first mistake tuning into 93.9. I don't have any more of a problem with Maybin & Rummage than I do with their other 'personalities'.

The reason 93.9 is now the 'flagship' station for U of L sports is that our standards and demand for the product have declined across the board. Start with the AD and, and with a few exceptions, go right down the line. Simply put, no one else would pay to broadcast U of L sports.

93.9 is and probably will remain a line-up of amateurs, and they're a pretty good fit for U of L in 2022...

the problem i find with all radio shows, even nationally syndicated hosts like patrick, rome, cowher, etc etc is they all have three hours to fill and honestly even if i was with my best friend i couldn't think of three hours of things that i can say in a day and i can talk a lot. therefor they fill air time wiht just bs irrelevant talk. doesn;t seem to much insight anywhere locally, imho. but as with all things, when you've got podcast, spotify and streaming everywhere, there's no money in local radio and if they are not making money they they are not paying money and thus the quality we hear is what they pay for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT