ADVERTISEMENT

5-Star Recruit VJ King

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
When Louisville assistant Kenny Johnson joined Rick Pitino’s staff last year, he was tabbed as a home-run hire due to his outstanding recruiting reputation.

So far so good as Pitino will welcome in a top ten recruiting class in 2015 with two five star prospects. Johnson along with the rest of the staff played a big role in Louisville’s 2016 class, but I don’t think there has been one commit since he’s been hired that was based solely on him.

That could soon change.

Louisville is in on a handful of highly ranked recruits from the 2016 class, but five star swing-man VJ King appears to be one of the top targets at this point.

King took an official visit to Louisville over the weekend and by all accounts that visit went very well. After sensational spring performances on the Nike EYBL circuit, King racked in offers from Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Arizona, Michigan State, Iowa State and Syracuse, among others. Scout.com ranks King as the 12th best player in the 2016 class.

Louisville will be going up against some of the top programs in the country, but Kenny Johnson has connections with King that could make the Cardinals the early favorite.

King recently transferred to Paul VI High School in Virginia, which is where Kenny Johnson used to be the head coach, prior to getting into the college game. King previously played for St. Vincent St. Mary’s High School in Akron, OH., the same school that produced Lebron James.

Johnson built his brand while working within the Nike AAU circuit. He served six years as assistant director and head of travel and logistics for the TeamTakeover AAU program and was the head coach of its 16 and under age group during that stint. The program produced a total of 53 Division I scholarship players during his stint there.

King recently switched AAU clubs from the King James team to TeamTakeover.

I’m not sure if King plans on making a decision anytime soon, but I really like Louisville’s chances. This could be the first of many big time gets for Coach Johnson.

Reactions: tn00nan and pervisl
We'll see. The kid has NIKE written all over him and we've been burned by this type of recruit before. I'm not holding my breath, but if he is really a L1C4 type player then I'll be happy to welcome him to the Cardinal family. I guess time will tell the truth about him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT