ADVERTISEMENT

5-star 2017 guard Duval sees fit with U of L

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
Trevon Duval is a ways away from making recruiting decisions. He's a highly rated Class of 2017 guard who already has scores of big-time college programs after him, but he's just starting the summer before his junior year of high school.

That said, the 6-foot-3 point guard, ranked in the top 20 in the nation by each of the four major recruiting sites, has already established a relationship with Louisville, among several other programs doggedly recruiting him.

U of L assistant Kenny Johnson watched Duval this past season, and the skilled young guard already has a scholarship offer from the Cardinals.

"I've been knowing Louisville since I was a kid, watching them since I was younger," Duval said at the NBPA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, Va.

"They've always been in the mix, a top program. And I know they get up and down and they like to run a lot."
Duval said he visited Villanova in recent weeks and that Indiana and Oregon are recruiting him the hardest at this stage in the process, but the Delaware native who plays high school ball for New Jersey powerhouse St. Benedict's Prep figures to be a major target for U of L in the coming years.

Louisville is in the market for a lead guard, with one scholarship available for 2015, another for 2016 and at least three in 2017. With only Quentin Snider on the roster past the 2015-16 season, Louisville will be searching for another point guard in any of those classes.

Duval said he's a good fit for the Cards, and both he and Louisville know that.

"They get up and down," Duval said. "Coach (Rick) Pitino, he believes in his guards, lets them run the show, and I think they have really good guard play."
Style of play is a big factor for Duval, who said he'll base at least part of his college decision on how a team plays.

"I would like a team that gets up and down, playing with a lot of good guards, and also coaches that are comfortable with their guards playing the game," Duval said.

Kyle Tucker

ADVERTISEMENT