ADVERTISEMENT

4 starters out against Duke

Now we have the luck of not getting borderline strikes in the bottom of the 8th. Galvan was squeezed three times with pitches that have been called strikes all game.

Reactions: PushupMan
Look at Duke's good luck with the seeing eye single. Hope I'm wrong but this is not going to end well.

Duke was the blessed team this weekend while Louisville sinks deeper into the void. I know, overly dramatic, but I've seen this movie before.

That first pitch Galvan threw on the outside corner to the right hand batter had been called a strike the entire game, except for that one time. Pitiful.

Payton visibly paused before throwing it back to Galvan, but I’m sure he had visions of turning and firing the ball off the face mask of the umpire.

• Haha
Reactions: earsky and Bardman
About 3-4 of our pitchers need to embrace the portal in the off-season. Then, CDM needs to realize the importance of the portal and get at least 3 solid, proven pitchers.

Notably, just before the play at the plate that got us out of that inning, Forbes was given a strike just below the knees on that same outside corner.

Reactions: Bardman
I'm concerned this losing stretch will continue enough to keep the Cards out of the tournament. Being swept by Duke the way they did can have a significant impact on the team's confidence.

Inconsistency and now injuries have taken its toll and it doesn't look promising. I really hope I'm wrong but I've seen it happen before in a dugout of players who just can't believe why it keeps happening.

Guys start to feel they're letting their teammates down and that is just something that's hard to rectify. Winning will surely do it, so if they can rebound from this Duke series they may avoid a collapse.

It doesn't get any easier with the teams still to play.

< And the hot chic that looks like Charize Theron that's in the stands behind the right handed hitters has totally distracted me. >

Teams make their own"luck". These guys are in a flat footed funk. Need some leadership to step up and change their mindset.

Reactions: earsky
Teams make their own"luck". These guys are in a flat footed funk. Need some leadership to step up and change their mindset.
No doubt the Cards have not executed well, but they can't control bad strike zone umps and hitting hard balls right at people.

They could have easily swept this series. All three games determined by one run. As poorly as the Cards played, they were right there close to sweeping Duke. A little timely good fortune could of helped but I digress.

This is baseball.

No doubt the Cards have not executed well, but they can't control bad strike zone umps and hitting hard balls right at people.

They could have easily swept this series. All three games determined by one run. As poorly as the Cards played, they were right there close to sweeping Duke. A little timely good fortune could of helped but I digress.

This is baseball.
Started out 15-1. Since then, 11-12.

Are you guys serious about believing the Umpire changed the strike zone on Galvan? My question is sincere, as I was unable to watch the game Sunday, and I lost radio reception while driving in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings; so I did not have the benefit of Sean Moth’s normally objective opinion.

Two quick observation; first, is it a coincidence that all three weekend losses were similar in the manner they played out, where late inning walks led to tying and go ahead runs, that resulted in come from behind wins for Duke? Secondly, why would anyone believe these same UL pitchers who cannot throw strikes (Riley Phillips not only struggled finding the strike zone, he struggled keeping the pitches in the vicinity of our catcher) can transfer elsewhere and expect a different outcome?

The kids who I can imagine transferring elsewhere are those who are sitting on the bench inning after inning, as they witness the same arms failing repeatedly. We have not seen them, so no one knows if they are capable of eliminating these walks that turn into runs.

Duke’s Fallon has a strike out to walk ratio that is indicative of a closer who should be what we look for if we expect to continue pursuing Omaha.

Duke deserves credit for the series sweep, but there should be an asterisk besides this weekend’s experience; UL did everything possible in the late innings to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.

Are you guys serious about believing the Umpire changed the strike zone on Galvan? My question is sincere, as I was unable to watch the game Sunday, and I lost radio reception while driving in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings; so I did not have the benefit of Sean Moth’s normally objective opinion.

Two quick observation; first, is it a coincidence that all three weekend losses were similar in the manner they played out, where late inning walks led to tying and go ahead runs, that resulted in come from behind wins for Duke? Secondly, why would anyone believe these same UL pitchers who cannot throw strikes (Riley Phillips not only struggled finding the strike zone, he struggled keeping the pitches in the vicinity of our catcher) can transfer elsewhere and expect a different outcome?

The kids who I can imagine transferring elsewhere are those who are sitting on the bench inning after inning, as they witness the same arms failing repeatedly. We have not seen them, so no one knows if they are capable of eliminating these walks that turn into runs.

Duke’s Fallon has a strike out to walk ratio that is indicative of a closer who should be what we look for if we expect to continue pursuing Omaha.

Duke deserves credit for the series sweep, but there should be an asterisk besides this weekend’s experience; UL did everything possible in the late innings to steal defeat from the jaws of victory.
To insinuate that Roger Williams/Coach Mac have lost their minds and that's there better pitching sitting on the bench is ludicrous to me.. Almost saying they are deliberately putting in these pitchers to fail not succeed..

The ump just squeezed Galvan in that inning. Don't think it was on purpose, just a so so umpire who happened to hurt one team over the other.

The one run loss on Friday was a fluke and set the stage for the next two losses. Duke was hitting home runs like they were the old Bronx bombers.

Baseball is a game of ups and downs. Players have stretches of good play, then suddenly can't buy a hit or throw a strike. Duke isn't the better team, but they bettered Louisville by one run in all three games. It just worked out for them.

Louisville has serious issues though that the coaching staff still hasn't rectified. The lineup changes game to game and injuries have not helped. The bullpen is a mess and there's not a lot the coaches can do about it. Galvan was throwing hard and well, but it just didn't work out.

Whether or not the portal will help, the program needs a boost that only talented players can deliver. We Louisville baseball fans are spoiled with the level of MLB talent that has passed through Jim Patterson stadium.

The amount of highly rated recruits choosing pro ball over college has hurt Louisville as well. Jo Adel is a perfect example who is about to be released in LA because he can't stop striking out.

Remember, Brendan McKay chose college over pro ball when he was an all everything HS player. We're just not seeing much of that anymore.

I think the light could still come on for the hitters,but dropping these games before that can happen (we've seen this before) is troubling to say the least. They basically have to outscore our pitching woes and it's showing signs of being able to do that.
The Cards need to get hot right now to extinguish any thoughts about missing the post season again 🤮

I'm not so sure that the pitching can right itself as easily and the hitting isn't guaranteed. Damn,rock and a hard place comes to mind.

I do appreciate the explanation Realville, and do not question your assessment of the Umpire tightening the zone on Sunday!

While I will concede that Home runs definitely affected this series on both teams, the disappointing loss on Friday night was more a result of Smith's error and the 2 walks in the 9th that loaded the bases with only one out, and that explains why we lost. Three of the 4 runs were unearned ...... which raises the question as to whether anyone believes that even without the GS-HR, UL getting out of that inning with the win?

You cannot walk the 8th & 9th hitters and expect to win period.

Ugliest of ugly weekends. They can sulk or get mad / focused. Playing at your rival can accentuate either of those emotions. We shall see.

For me, the bullpen is the key to the rest of the season. No value in changing the starting rotation as there is nobody challenging to break into it. Quicker hook on Hawks, more consistency (or quicker hook) on Phillips and let Liggett do what he's been doing. Of course, all of the above depends mightily on having arms to bring in that will fill up the zone and work ahead. Tell them if you work ahead and they hit it, so be it. If you work behind and give free bases, you won't pitch for us. Nuff said. You get max 2 batters if you work behind. I know this causes great pressure but that is what they will face when they come into games in the ACC that matter so might as well feel it now.

TUE night @ UK (in order & assuming all are healthy)
  • Grundy - max 2 IP
  • Danilowicz - max 1 IP
  • Robinson - max 1 IP
  • Farone - max 1 IP
  • Wiegman - max 1 IP
  • ?West? - max 1 IP
  • Koger - max 1 IP
  • Corbett - max 1 IP
  • Galvan - max 1 IP
  • Any IP left give to others we've seen.

Reactions: rh62531
Playing at your rival can accentuate either of those emotions. We shall see.
What better time for the offense at least to get themselves going. They'll have to double their ACC production going forward or get close to be able to compete in June. I would've preferred for any one regular season game not to mean as much but we put ourselves in a more precarious position.
Kentucky might be the catalyst.

As far as the bullpen, just get better by doing what you know how to do...no more.

I do appreciate the explanation Realville, and do not question your assessment of the Umpire tightening the zone on Sunday!

While I will concede that Home runs definitely affected this series on both teams, the disappointing loss on Friday night was more a result of Smith's error and the 2 walks in the 9th that loaded the bases with only one out, and that explains why we lost. Three of the 4 runs were unearned ...... which raises the question as to whether anyone believes that even without the GS-HR, UL getting out of that inning with the win?

You cannot walk the 8th & 9th hitters and expect to win period.
I don't know. In any 1 run game, you can always end up blaming what cause the loss on 1 or 2 plays. You get an error by Smith and you get a ground ball DP. We walked 5, Duke walked 4. We had 10 hits, Duke had 6. We struck out 15 times, Duke struck out 12. We left 4 on base, Duke only 2. We got 2 runners thrown out trying to steal. While those are not errors, they cost us baserunners.

Duke only scored in 2 innings, the 5th they scored 6 runs and of course the 9th, they scored 4. Not being able to minimize in those 2 innings cost us the game. We had a 7-0 lead going into the bottom of the 5th. The game should have never been close by the time we got to the 9th.

P.S - quit blaming the umpires! If this was the only game, I could see an umpire squeezing a pitcher. But it happens time and time again, we have several pitchers that can't throw strikes in high pressure situations..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT