ADVERTISEMENT

3 games left in the putrid season

Really going to be interested in season ticket renewals and what ticket offers start cropping up. Once fans start dropping tix or the cost of tickets drops then the equation changes.

Sadly, we have no Cincinnati to bail us out this time. We have no Jeff Brohm figure to ride in with his energy and swagger to re-energize the program. We’ll limp into the off season with little hope of a coaching change. And, the life line we are left to cling to is that the man who has so badly underperformed is the one we have to count on to kill it in the transfer portal and find a way to effectively Coach and unite a new team to a mediocre level of success next year.

Sorry, but the end of this “putrid season” doesn’t mean the end of this putrid basketball program.

Truly hard to believe the season turned out to be this bad. 4 wins…. It was one thing to talk about 4 or 5 wins total as a topic throughout the season… another thing for that to become a reality.

I haven't seen anything more clear and obvious than KP being relieved of his duties. There is simply no reason to expect a humongous change in fortune starting next season. A small minority of fans are willing to endure a .500 team in year two of KP, and I find that to be preposterous.

The only reason there's an expectation of a middling year two is KP himself, and who's to say Louisville will not again lose more games than they win?

The obvious solution is to get an experienced head coach from wherever. Someone who has some success coaching college basketball. However the finances have to be worked out, get it done.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Sadly, we have no Cincinnati to bail us out this time. We have no Jeff Brohm figure to ride in with his energy and swagger to re-energize the program. We’ll limp into the off season with little hope of a coaching change. And, the life line we are left to cling to is that the man who has so badly underperformed is the one we have to count on to kill it in the transfer portal and find a way to effectively Coach and unite a new team to a mediocre level of success next year.

Sorry, but the end of this “putrid season” doesn’t mean the end of this putrid basketball program.

Ole miss ❗

Reactions: OldhamCard335
A new coach of any quality will result in $5 million more annual expenses for the next few years. No way there’s enough guaranteed revenue in play from men’s basketball to offset that. We’re handcuffed…

In case the number needs more detail, $5 million is about 5,000 in attendance. If Jay Wright comes, we got a long shot at that…

Probably LOSE at least another 5,000 if by chance Pain finds a way to come back.. It's a gamble Heird can't take..
Let’s say your “source” is right and KP is gone. Will he be fire or leave for the NBA? Who is the next coach? Who is on your sources list? I agree Jay Wright is the only guy people would be 100 percent behind. You aren’t eating KP salary without identifying the next can’t miss coach. That what this next hire is can’t miss.

I know people think this is Monopoly money but it isn’t.

Now if next year this a mess meaning they missed the tournament then everything is on the table.

Where we're at now I would be 100 percent behind any experienced head coach. No longer can we wait for a big name coach, the damage to the program is going to take years to correct.

So if some guy from the Sun Belt conference is hired, I'm for it if he has a good track record of winning. It would be a miracle if someone like Jay Wright was hired, but right now we just need someone who knows what he's doing. Period!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Now if next year this a mess meaning they missed the tournament then everything is on the table.
You only save $2 million on his contract by waiting another year for him to fail (which he will) You're going to lose more than that on season tickets if you bring him back to sleep walk through another season..

Reactions: KerryRhodes
You only save $2 million on his contract by waiting another year for him to fail (which he will) You're going to lose more than that on season tickets if you bring him back to sleep walk through another season..
Didn’t answer my question who is the next guy?

Who is worthy of this program in the fans eyes? Keep it only to the guys that are attainable. We aren’t going to have 6-8M to throw around.

I am still in the KP boat but have to see the roster.

I'm not going to objectively debate whether Payne should be gone ASAP. He never should have been hired, and you can't defend his performance and that of the team this season. He won't be leaving this year, but not because he deserves another year.

That said, I WILL discuss and debate--as I always will--the financial element(s)...

We're not going to lose another 5K season ticket holders next year, and that's due to the diminishing effects of our/his underperformance. We're averaging around 12.5K per game this year--which is already down 7.5K compared to 2017--due to our underperformance since Pitino left. The reference point keeps declining.

And we're not averaging 7,500 next year with Payne because there are too many long term commitments with suites and some account holders.

Some also see this depression in the program as an opportunity to get in at a good price and get better access. I think opportunists are wrong about that value proposition, or I'd be doing it myself. The men's basketball program will not make any dramatic improvement under people who don't know what they're doing.

As far as Payne, I'm on the side of posters like @Cardiac Red until someone starts arguing that paying $5 million annually for TWO coaches not to coach is somehow financially justified. It most certainly is not...

Or.....

Maybe they have no intentions of firing him after next year either.
Im literally eating right now and i read your post.
vomit GIF

Reactions: Cardiac Red
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT