ADVERTISEMENT

11 ranked VJ King Commits to UofL

Great news, but yeah, I make it a rule to never get too excited for new recruits until they are in a UofL uniform and playing out on the court. A lot can happen between now and then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cue Card
As I posted on the premium board, I'd like to find out that the kid is L1C4 material. I'm skeptical of kids ranked that high...

As I posted on the premium board, I'd like to find out that the kid is L1C4 material. I'm skeptical of kids ranked that high...
I feel the same way. As long as he has the right attitude, then this is a great commit. If he isn't down with being a L1C4 type of player then I would just assume he go elsewhere. The right attitude means everything.

The system is what it is in all its ugly corrupt glory. But still, each player is an individual, and it's not unreasonable to expect someone with great talent to go a different route than the Nike factory, and play for a Hall of Fame coach. It may not happen often. Maybe this is one of the un-oftens?

Reactions: pervisl

And how would you go about finding out? I'm sure the staff believes he is or they wouldn't have pursued him in the first place. I understand we have been burned in the past multiple times but I won't judge the whole crowd off of a few people. Enjoy the ride...no sense in worrying. Great pickup by the staff

And how would you go about finding out? I'm sure the staff believes he is or they wouldn't have pursued him in the first place. I understand we have been burned in the past multiple times but I won't judge the whole crowd off of a few people. Enjoy the ride...no sense in worrying. Great pickup by the staff
I hope you're right, but it's not my job to find out whether the kid has what it takes to make it under Pitino. That's the staff's job.

And as much as I support Pitino and everything he does, let's not pretend that we've nailed that analysis in the past. We've seen a lot of roster turnover along with the rest of the college basketball. I'd say we're about average in that regard. But we're not happy with anything at U of L that's "average".

I wanna see fewer Shaqquan Aarons and Anton Gills. Sometimes they're not good enough; too many times they just don't wanna work hard enough. I've decided to start--it sounds like a lot of other fans have as well--questioning what an incoming kid has behind those Rivals stars. To your point, the staff is probably evolving as well. Let's all hope we do it quickly...

I hope you're right, but it's not my job to find out whether the kid has what it takes to make it under Pitino. That's the staff's job.

And as much as I support Pitino and everything he does, let's not pretend that we've nailed that analysis in the past. We've seen a lot of roster turnover along with the rest of the college basketball. I'd say we're about average in that regard. But we're not happy with anything at U of L that's "average".

I wanna see fewer Shaqquan Aarons and Anton Gills. Sometimes they're not good enough; too many times they just don't wanna work hard enough. I've decided to start--it sounds like a lot of other fans have as well--questioning what an incoming kid has behind those Rivals stars. To your point, the staff is probably evolving as well. Let's all hope we do it quickly...

I wasn't saying it was your job or anyone else's on this board. Just pointing out that there is no way to know what the kid is made of until he gets here. That's what the coaches are for.

Do you honestly think that a kid who committed would say "no I'm not down with L1C4"? Just sayin

Welcome to The Ville, I believe this one will stick and others in the future will also. Great pick up by the staff. L1C4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't saying it was your job or anyone else's on this board. Just pointing out that there is no way to know what the kid is made of until he gets here. That's what the coaches are for.

Do you honestly think that a kid who committed would say "no I'm not down with L1C4"? Just sayin

That is on point Money cardinal

I tend to believe UL has a better chance at really getting this guy in black and red, due to his connections to the coaching staff. I REALLY hope he does stay committed, he's not only a great 3, but can easily slide over and play the 2 as well. Can't wait to see what happens, and BTW I think the 15-16 season is going to be AWESOME!!!!

GO CARDS!!!!

I wasn't saying it was your job or anyone else's on this board. Just pointing out that there is no way to know what the kid is made of until he gets here. That's what the coaches are for...
I don't believe that nor do the coaches. A big part of their vetting process is finding out what's between the ears on these kids. And if a coach doesn't think that's his job, we have the wrong coach--at least in THIS system (L1C4).

However, I don't believe we've always done a good job at that. And I'm looking for evidence that we're improving in that regard.

At this point, I really couldn't care less about star ratings in basketball. You won't hear me say that about recruiting in general. But if anything, we've proven the last ten years that they mean very little in basketball at U of L.

...Do you honestly think that a kid who committed would say "no I'm not down with L1C4"?...
No, I don't. That's why we're paying coaches big salaries to find that out for us.

And even if the kid has five stars and says "I'm down", if we find out he's not L1C4 material, we say "no thanks". Again, I'm now looking for that type of management/coaching...

BTW, if we're doing a good job of the L1C4 vetting process, we MAY hear about the occasional 4 or 5-star kid who wants to come to U of L, but we decline. Normally, you don't hear about that kinda situation because the schools can't talk and it's an embarrassment for the kid.

But I HOPE we hear about that situation more and more...

We've been left hanging so many times I won't blame anybody that reserves celebrating. Factor in a couple "busts" and I understand wait and see.

Something does feel a bit different with this one though. Like, I always expect them to open it back up but I actually think this guy sticks.

Either way, 100% confidence in Pitino whoever he throws out there.

We as fans need to learn--this goes out to those who haven't--that with U of L basketball under Pitino, it ain't about the ranking or number of stars. I almost don't even care about hearing that anymore.

Tell me how hard the kid works, how much he looks forward to being the best possible athlete, how delayed gratification isn't an issue... Tell me all of that good stuff about a kid, and then I'm interested.

How many stars he has?... Might as well tell me if he has a girlfriend...

I like the L1C4 mantra. Louisville FIRST = team players without egos. Cardinals FOREVER = YOUR reward for buying in to the Louisville first ideology.

L1C4 is what I want to see out of our players.

He has a very close relationship with Johnson, but can't get excited until the guy is in s Cardinal uniform. Depending on how our bigs progress we having shaping up to have a very good team the next few years.

I like the L1C4 mantra. Louisville FIRST = team players without egos...
Me too, but I'm not sure that all of our fans have bought in 100% of the time. Esp. when we lose a good player because of it...

I think all the fans buy into the concept but may not need the slogan. That said the slogan only exists to send a middle finger to the players first slogan down the road so the mantra shouldn't bother anybody that roots for Louisville.

Maybe he's a OAD maybe he isn't. As a fan personally I don't worry about rather or not a player is going to be here 1 year or 4 years. I just worry about what he can do when he puts the cards uniform on.

If King makes it here and proves himself to be a team guy (L1C4), I hope he's OAD. First, that probably means the guy's hitting true paydirt. And secondly, it means that Pitino can attract and utilize a OAD guy in an L1C4 system.

The best thing, however, is that producing a OAD guy doesn't necessarily reduce your basketball program to a D-League team. Would mean that you can have the best of both worlds: L1C4 AND OAD.

"Elite program", my a$$...

The best thing, however, is that producing a OAD guy doesn't necessarily reduce your basketball program to a D-League team. Would mean that you can have the best of both worlds: L1C4 AND OAD.
This is the difference between Duke and UK. Kids don't leave Duke because they already have one foot out the door (Orton, Lamb, Teague, Dakari, Harrisons). Kids leave Duke because they're ready for the pros and will be drafted accordingly.

This is the difference between Duke and UK. Kids don't leave Duke because they already have one foot out the door (Orton, Lamb, Teague, Dakari, Harrisons). Kids leave Duke because they're ready for the pros and will be drafted accordingly.

Davis, Cousins, Wall, Randle, Young, Noel, Bledsoe, Gilchrist, Goodwyn, all looked pretty ready for the NBA and are cashing some pretty nice checks. Cal certainly did not show Orton or Teague the door . Lamb and the Harrisons were not one and done. You obviously are suffering from a Duke education.

I think what Rye's saying is that kids come to LPT in order to get to the NBA fastest. Your recruiting lives and dies according to that. Your coach calls the NBA Draft the greatest nite of the year (or history!)

While they all wanna play pro ball as soon as possible, no one goes anywhere else with that expectation. Not even Duke. I mean, why step foot on Duke's campus if all you care about is getting to the NBA? Take the easy road and hook up with Pitino Lite.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Last edited:
Davis, Cousins, Wall, Randle, Young, Noel, Bledsoe, Gilchrist, Goodwyn, all looked pretty ready for the NBA and are cashing some pretty nice checks. Cal certainly did not show Orton or Teague the door . Lamb and the Harrisons were not one and done. You obviously are suffering from a Duke education.
I just listed 6 guys in the last 5 years who were leaving Cal's program whether they were ready for the next level or not. They were done with UK. They were done with Cal. Their pitstop was complete. And I even forgot about Archie Goodwin. No way that guy was ready. Dude lost to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT. Of course Cal didn't show them the door. They had their mind made up before they ever set foot on UK's campus that they were jumping to the NBA the first time an agent gave them hope. That's the type of player Cal's approach attracts. Other teams get those players too, (Josh Selby at Kansas, Lance Stephenson at Cinci, etc) but only Cal's program is going to have them on an annual basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT